View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
The OP does say she touched 1st base on her way back. She doesn't have to "stop" there, only touch. LBR - out.
Can you quote (cite) a specific line in any version of the lookback rule that supports that statement?

ASA 8-7.T(2) says "Once a player stops at a base for any reason, the runner will be declared out if leaving the base."

NFHS 8-7-3 says "Once the runner stops at a base for any reason, she will be declared out if she leaves the base.

NCAA 12-21.f(3) says "The batter-runner (sic) may not step off any base after stopping at it."

NCAA 12-21.f(4) says "The batter-runner, (sic) after overrunning first base, may not retouch the base and advance toward second."
This is the call that was made in the NCAA WCWS, not the noted play.

NCAA 12-21.f(5) says "The batter-runner, (sic) must immediately return nonstop to first base (she did), or is she does not retouch first base, must make an attempt to advance to second."

I still don't see any specific clause of the LBR violated by the BR overrunning first base, making the required return (while having NOT determined a committed direction), retouching first base legally, not advancing toward second base illegally, and, without stopping or changing direction, continuing in the one direction that no rule states it is illegal to continue. She THEN makes the one and only change of direction that applies under the LBR, which she can legally make, and returns to the base.

Okay, I do now see an out where the NCAA LBR applies, but it has NOTHING to do with the retouch, which does not violate the stopping and leaving part of the rule. It is the NCAA (only; not true in ASA or NFHS) that when a runner is in motion when the pitcher receives the ball, her only legal change of direction must happen "immediately" (NCAA 12-21.b). Both ASA and NFHS allow one legal stop and change of direction, and that can happen at any "decision" moment after the pitcher receives the ball, does not have to be immediately.

So, I now agree with an out in NCAA; for the reason that the change of direction was after the allowed "immediately."