View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 07, 2002, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck...the ATM comment was pretty funny.

I officiate and play both sports. I have seen folks who don't play volleyball try and officiate it, and most of them struggle to both be competent and stay awake. Like all sports, there are alot of nuances in volleyball of which the average "family" ball type of person has no clue.

For instance, there are at least 10 simple offense and defense sets that coaches use to game plan and execute. Understanding each of these basic strategies goes along way into being a competent official. Where is the attack coming from, is it a legal attack from a legal player, was the ball played legally, what happened at the net and how is the defense reacting.

All of these things happen very quickly when two athletic teams are playing. If you are watching or calling middle school, it could be a challenge to stay awake, as the skill levels are limited and the coaches are often little more than baby sitters.

Having said all the above, basketball is still my passion, and I will tend to call any level basketball game before calling a volleyball match. Given your obvious passion toward basketball, I'm sure you will approach volleyball with the same degree of professionalism, and it will be a positive experience for you.