View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 16, 2009, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
By rule, this should be a 3. Any thrown ball that starts outside the arc and then goes in a player's own basket without touching the floor, a teammate or an official counts as 3. I think it's 5-2-1.

Having said that, there's NO WAY that this type of play should be awarded 3 points. It was obviously not a try for goal, it was just a lucky bounce.

There is a case play (I can't remember the reference) in which a 3-point try falls short of the goal, bounces off a defender and then goes in the basket. It is ruled as a 2-point basket because the try clearly ended. This, IMHO, clearly contradicts the rule but is the correct ruling.

5-2-1 needs to be re-written so that if it applies only to the "alley-oops" play (where it MIGHT have been a try) and not to "any" thrown ball (which is obviously NOT a try).
4.41.4 SITUATION B: A1’s three-point try is short and below ring level when it
hits the shoulder of: (a) A2; or (b) B1 and rebounds to the backboard and through
the basket. RULING: The three-point try ended when it was obviously short and
below the ring. However, since a live ball went through the basket, two points are
scored in both (a) and (b). (5-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
No, it is a 2. We've been through this before and while the rule seems to indicated it shoud be a three, other case plays give us the intent of the rule. The intent is not to make ball that was not going towards the basket into a three points when a defender bats/heads in to the basket. That rule is very clearly intended only to apply to balls thrown in such a way that they may enter the basket as thrown....that defensive "touching" doesn't alter the chance to score a three. Sure it doesn't spell it out in so many words but the writers of the rule expect the officials reading it to have some amount of common sense.
I agree.