Thread: Federation play
View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have a rule reference here, so I'm going to rule as if I was making up the rule.

As stated in the OP, the batter is still hovering around HP, not knowing that she just took a 3rd strike. After all the dust has settled, and unfortunately because time was called, and everyone is back in position, if that batter is still at HP, she will be called out for failing to advance to 1B before the time of the next pitch. There doesn't have to be a next pitch, only that everyone is sorta ready for a next pitch.

Some thoughts:

1. Although time had been called, if the defense is alert enough, or someone wakes them up [coach, parent, fan], I think they could still make a dead ball appeal at 1B where the runner never advanced. Appeal upheald, BR out, no run scores.
2. Although time had been called, if someone finally managed to whisper into the BR's earhole and she snuck on down to 1B and was standing on the base, now I'm stuck. I don't think anyone can advance during a dead ball [unless a base award]. So if the next batter comes to bat, and the struck-out batter managed to obtain 1B during a dead ball, do I call her out? Does the defense have to appeal? What do they appeal?

Ted