View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 07, 2009, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
mrm21711,

Sorry, I just assumed you were asking about the FED rule. I haven't done much study of the OBR DH rule, but the PBUC quote, which is consistent with the MLBUM treatment of the question, suggests the "double switch" you posit is NOT legal because only ONE "defensive substitution" is being made. (Since the pitcher is already in the game on defense, his move to another defensive position is not a "substitution".)

That is, under OBR rules, a pitcher who is being "DH'd for" is NOT "locked" into any spot in the batting order. Therefore, should the pitcher be subbed for and remain in the game as a defensive player, if another sub is brought in at the same time, the DM is free to place the pitcher and the "new" sub in the two spots in the batting order previously occupied by the DH (now terminated) and the other defensive player leaving the game as he siees fit.

As I read it, the difference in the J/R cite you reference is that only ONE defensive sub is coming into the game (King), though TWO players are leaving the game (Eliot & Grant).

Not sure that's correct, but that's how I read it.

JM
That makes sense to me - I am confusing and considering the pitcher (James) as a substitute when in fact he is not substituting, he is simply entering the batting order as a result of him taking a defensive position after leaving the game as the pitcher.