View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 07, 2009, 02:41pm
Courageous When Prudent

[QUOTE=CallMeMrRef;586223]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
I do not see leaving the floor to avoid contact with an opponent, provided the player returns immediately in approximately the same area, as an unauthorized reason./QUOTE]

Wasn't this rule directed at just that situation: e.g, baseline screen - either the offensive or defensive player runs out of bounds TO AVOID CONTACT WITH AN OPPONENT. Isn't this the situation that led to the rule change?

I am not trying to split hairs here, just wondering if one section of the rules (unauthorized reason) would trump the preexisting rule of not o-o-b on an interrupted dribble, or if that point was even given consideration.

The actual play occurred in a PA district final game - official called nothing and the player in question banked home a 3 point attempt with 5 seconds on the clock to send the game into OT! (that team lost in OT, BTW) If you want to view the play go to the 2:55 minute mark of the following video:

2009 Basketball District 1 Championships Day 2 Highlights (2/28)

Note: it is probably a stretch to call the actual play an interrupted dribble, but it was in talking about this play that that scenario/question was born.
Based on the angle of this video and what I saw of the dribble I would say a violation. He left the court to get around the defender.