Thread: Ethics
View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 03, 2002, 10:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb 100% Agree!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

I don't have 100 schools to work for, so I mind my business and avoid controversy if at all possible. When you officiate more than one sport and are active in youth programs, you're going to develop relationships with people. Start scratching every school where I know someone and soon, I'll be living out of a suitcase to officiate high school basketball.
I completely agree with you. I have a game this year at my alma mater this year doing a varsity game. I attended this school over 10 years ago. I have not had any ties to this school directly in that same time. I am doing another game earlier in the year at a school where it seems like I know everyone. My original football crew was all from this school and I know many administrators and coaches rather well there. If I worried about not doing games at every school that I knew someone, I would not be able to officiate a single game. Or at least as time goes on that would be harder and harder. I do agree that the higher you go, the more conflicts that cannot be there. But if Joe Pa does not want Michigan officials doing a Michigan/Penn State game, he might not find any officials able to do his game at all. Not saying that he could not find officials outside of Michigan, but it might be difficult to accomidate every single supposed conflict. I do feel there are real conflicts and made up ones. Living in a town or going to a school might not be what it seems.

Peace