Thread: Ethics
View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 03, 2002, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Drake makes several valid points, as usual, and I don't disagree with him. This is how I handle those issues.

In the 6 years that my two sons attended this high school, I have not now, nor have I ever been a member of the athletic booster club.

Both sons played soccer for 4 years and I cheered for them and their team during their games.

We do not have any bumper stickers or license plates on any of my vehicles supporting the school.

While I do not broadcast that I have kids at this school or that I graduated from there over 20 years ago. I have worked their games and never had a problem, win or lose. I attend the same church as one coach and we both graduated from my sons' school. He coaches at a different school and faces them often. I work his games as well.

I don't have 100 schools to work for, so I mind my business and avoid controversy if at all possible. When you officiate more than one sport and are active in youth programs, you're going to develop relationships with people. Start scratching every school where I know someone and soon, I'll be living out of a suitcase to officiate high school basketball.

So, as I said, do what you can live with. If you feel it would create a problem for you, don't work them. If you take the proper steps, you may be able avoid any problems. Do what makes you comfortable. But just because it doesn't work for you, doesn't make it an absolute for others.