Thread: Ethics
View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 03, 2002, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

I agree in theory with Bktballref, but let's face reality.
I CAN and WOULD officiate a game at a school I graduated from or had a son or daughter attending with complete fairness. But there is always someone who will question your impartiality. IF THE STAKES ARE HIGH ENOUGH, that's a game you should not work. Keep everybody "out of the soup".
There was a University of Utah vs. Arizona football game this year where a touchdown was dissallowed because one official said the receiver was not inbounds. Replays showed the receiver WAS inbounds and this play basically decided the game. The next day the story in the paper was that the
Referee was from Tucson, and was very familiar with the AZ program, and may even have been a booster. THe PAC-10 issued a statement backing the official and said they had no problem assigning him to that game.
Now I worked several games in the WNBA this year where I had to officiate the team from my home state. I felt very comfortable with the job I did and as far as I know the question as to my impartiality never came up.
But at lower levels, you will create more problems for your self and your supervisors if you take those games. I have know several officials who take a few years off, when their kids get to high School and play sports. Mainly to watch, but also to avoid having a conflict of interest.
So in short, If you think it could create more problems than it's worth, turn it back.
JMO