View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT View Post
First round tournament game. At the end of the 3rd qtr, a rebound is caught and in one motion shot back in from about 8 feet. The horn goes off definitely after the ball is released, but it is waived off by the C, who is opposite the table. Would you as the trail or lead ever go to the C and discuss it and possibly count the basket? They all got together at the qtr break and the other two said it should have counted and after the first horn, one of the officials came over and said "he knows he missed it" and then later during a FT, the calling official said "I missed it."

I officiate BB as well as the asst. coach for our HS, but do not work a full schedule so am unsure if this could have been handled another way, or if you just stick with the "we blew it" and move on.

I am just looking for what others may have done in this situation.
In my crews, we're more often then not receptive to help on this type of play. Assuming I was the 'C' and didn't have a great look at this play, I would expect one (if not both) of my partners to get me all the information I'd need to make the correct ruling on the floor. Sounds to me that not one of the guys had the "guts" to step up and say anything. In the end, it's more important to get the call correct than to "live with" an incorrect desicion.

This one is realativly easy to fix too... before the start of the 4Q get to both coaches and simply say "We discussed the play, the ball was in fact released prior to the horn to end the 3Q, by rule the made basket will count. It's ____ ball at half. Have a good 4Q. Thanks, coaches." Then instruct the scorekeeper and clock operator to add 2 points to whoever scored.

Second point - any partner that would throw me under the bus like what is in red above, would get blocked from my schedule PDQ....

My 2 cents...