View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Below is some info from ASA & NFHS.

Most newer fields [not that I get to work a lot of those] have outfield fences that are high enough that a player couldn't fall over after making a catch. But if the fence was short enough where a player could jump up, make a catch, and then fall backwards over the fence, I'm assuming the catch/out stands and any runners would advance one base.

Softball & baseball have different rules, obviously. I'm thinking of an outfielder in Fenway Park robbing a hitter of a home run in right field and then falling over the fence. Are baserunners awarded a base then? Sorry to sully the softball forum with a baseball reference.

Ted

ASA

CATCH/NO CATCH:

A. A catch is a legally caught ball, which occurs when the fielder catches a
batted, pitched or thrown ball with the hand(s) or glove/mitt.

1. To establish a valid catch, the fielder shall hold the ball long enough to
prove control of it and/or that the release of the ball is voluntary.

2. If the ball is merely held in the fielder’s arm(s) or prevented from dropping
to the ground by some part of the fielder’s body, equipment or clothing,
the catch is not completed until the ball is in the grasp of the fielder’s
hand(s) or glove.

3. The fielder’s feet must be within the field of play, touching the “out of
play” line or in the air after leaving live ball territory in order to have a
valid catch. A player who is “out of play” and returns must have both
feet touching live ball territory or one foot touching and the other in the
air, for the catch to be legal.

B. It is not a catch:

1. If a fielder, while gaining control, collides with another player, umpire
or a fence, or falls to the ground and drops the ball as a result of the
collision or falling to the ground.

2. If a ball strikes anything other than a defensive player while it is in flight
is the same as if it struck the ground.

3. When a fielder catches a batted or thrown ball with anything other than
the hand(s) or glove in its proper place.

CATCH AND CARRY: A legal catch that a defensive player carries into dead ball territory.

NFHS

2-9-4… For a legal catch, a fielder must catch and have secure possession of the ball before stepping, touching or falling into a dead-ball area. A fielder who falls over or through the fence after making a catch shall be credited with the catch. A fielder who catches a ball while contacting or stepping on a collapsible fence, which is not completely horizontal, is credited with a catch.

NFHS Casebook 5.1.1 Situation K: While attempting to make a catch, F3 (a) leaves live-ball territory with one foot and then steps back into live-ball territory to make the catch, or (b) dives from live-ball territory and, before coming to rest landing completely in dead-ball territory, makes the catch. RULING: In (a) and (b), the catch is allowed. In (b), the ball becomes dead as soon as either, one of F3’s feet touches completely in dead-ball territory, or any other part of her body touches dead-ball territory. Runners are awarded one base. (5-1-1i Note: 8-4-3i)