Thread: timing question
View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 01, 2002, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Cameron,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
Obviously you're not interested in a view but your own.

Having worked basketball for many years and having worked baseball for over three decades I recognize FEDlandia involvement from a little different view than you.
I believe this is the first time I've been accused of anything like that. Perhaps its true, but I'm not so much stating my view as repeating what I've been told and read.

While I often do engage in discussions on debatable topics, I believe I have always kept it to discussing the points and not turning it into an issue about the other participants.

Quote:

"The only consequence that I heard was that the NFHS would not allow representives from states that do not use the official NFHS rules to be elected to the board/rules committee for that sport/activity."

In correct. Tim Stevens is a full member of the rules committee in certain sports at the National Fed level and is a working official and state rules interpreter for the State of Washington.

I think you need to research a little more.

And Cameron, I just live in Beaverton so we could discuss this further over a cold adult beverage.
Perhaps you should take a look at the NFHS website which I quote below (emphasis mine):

http://www.nfhs.org/rules-writing.htm

Quote:
STATE ASSOCIATIONS are not required to use NFHS playing rules. However, most states use NFHS playing rules for most sports. If a state is to have representation on a committee, it must follow the NFHS playing rules for the sport. If the rules give an option, a state may mandate either and retain membership on the committee.
I have don't doubt that Tim, and most if not all, Washington officals are fine people and officials. In particular, I don't dispute the accomplishments and contributions of Tim Stevens (who I admittedly do not know). He may very well be on some committees in sports where Washington adopts the NFHS rules.

It is also possible that the NFHS does not actually follow their stated policies.

[Edited by Camron Rust on Nov 1st, 2002 at 05:51 PM]