Thread: timing question
View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 01, 2002, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Re: WOW,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
Cameron:

Just a "baseball guy" dropping in from the "other" section and following a few threads -- sorry for the intrusion.

I wish you would re-think the following statement:

FEDlandia has always tried to work with states on many different types of adjustment to the rules.

As an example The State of Washington has used a shot clock and no centerline in girls (women's) basketball for over 25 YEARS with the blessing of the NFHS.
I'm certainly aware of this. Just because they've done it for 25 years doesn't mean it is with the blessings of the NFHS.

Quote:

As an example The State of Texas uses a version of NCAA rules for high school football with the full backing of the NFHS.

Massachuetts and Rhode Island play "The Official Rules of Baseball" rather than FEDlandia rules and still participate in many other FED actitities.

It is very easy to criticize from a distance however there are usually reasons and a process involved when states select to use only a portion of Fed rules in any sport.

I'll get the heck outta here now and back to baseball.
I've heard it from a very reliable source that some of the above states (not necessarily all) were not doing it with the "blessing" of the NFHS. Rather, they were not conforming to the NFHS rule and the NFHS wasn't taking much action about it. The only consequence that I heard was that the NFHS would not allow representives from states that do not use the official NFHS rules to be elected to the board/rules committee for that sport/activity.

They may allow them to use alternate rules...what could they really do about it any way...but they are no longer an NFHS state when they do so (for that sport).