Thread: Foul?
View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 01, 2002, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy
I'd probably call the foul on this one. Since A1 is in the air, it doesn't take much contact to knock him off balance and possibly cause an awkward landing that could lead to injury. I also lean toward protecting shooters.
If you think the contact knocked the shooter off balance or caused an awkward landing,you should call the foul.If you think otherwise,you have a no-call,You just wait and see the whole play,and then make up YOUR mind.
Let me see if I can clarify my position. Fletch originally asked for philosophies on this type of play. Here's mine:

I would probably call this foul to send the message that I am watching the shooters throughout the entire time of the shot and do not want defensive players "jumping at" the shooter trying to block shots. In this case there was only hand to hand contact that did not affect the shooter landing or the shot since it was already away. Next time, however, the defense may be more aggressive since the foul was not called and more contact may happen.

Fletch also mentioned "call the obvious". I would say that statement is incorporated in my philosphy as well. That would be applicable if I knew for sure that it was B1 that initiated contact on A1 as they passed. Fletch did say that he could not tell who slapped who in this particular play, so that takes the "obvious" part out of this equation.

I can certainly see a justification for a no-call on this play, and I may choose to go that route if this play happened in a game I'm working. I'm just saying that my "philosophy" would lean toward calling a foul in this or a similar situation.