View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 28, 2009, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum View Post
B1 has infield hit. F3 prepares for thrown and tag. Ball arrives early enought for runner to be out, but is rolling(moving) around in f3's glove as B1 touches base.

what is the call?? is the runner out becasue the ball was technically in the glove or safe because F3 did not have total control of it?

I called the runner safe. Coach claimed that control is not necessary.
Think about how you worded this. Not trying to be difficult or saying your call was wrong, just parsing out the situation for discussion as others may see it.

"in f3's glove" indicates that I should ask how you saw the ball if it was indeed "in the glove"? There is nothing indicating there must be a particular standard of a grip on the ball, just in control. Some of these gloves are pretty big. Even the biggest players do not "grip" the ball with the glove, but trap it between the fingers and webbing.

Of course, now you have to define control. Could the player voluntarily release the ball? Could F3 have flipped the ball from the glove to the pitcher or another player? Ever see a pivot man turn a play at 2B without the ball ever getting inside the glove?

IMO, "control" of the ball means that the player can control the action of the ball, not necessarily a firm no-one-get-get-the-ball-away-from-me type of grip.

If F3 scoops one out of the dirt, closes the glove and in the same motion voluntarily releases the ball, from the glove, back to the pitcher, did that player not show enough control of the ball to dictate it's direction and speed to another player? Wouldn't that be considered control and/or voluntary release? Is that not the definition of a catch?

Okay, let's have fun