Thread: Charge?
View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
You seem to be confusing the emotion of calling some T's with what I am stating is the level of severity of the foul. .... It does not change the fact a T is still one of the most severe penalties in the rule book, short of a flagrant ejection.
I am not confused, I am disagreeing that it is "so sever". Some referees advocate making up a blocking foul, if this occur es late in the game the opponent could very well be in the double bonus so the only extra the technical gives is a TI. But even if early in a game, two shots and the ball in trade for a player cheating to attempt to place an unearned foul on the opponent, I do not see that as overly sever nor does the Federation

What does this have to do whether or not we make the call?
You were the one who attempted to tie Faking a foul to the Crowd technical. I just pointed out that in the book NFHS does not see them as the same as they do not recommend extra caution regarding enforcement for the Faking punishment.

Are you aware of the reason the NFHS changed the penalty of excessive swinging of elbows from a T to a violation?
Yes, Your Point? ES with contact could be dealt with by existing rules for foul or flagrant contact. ES without contact did not merit the punishment that was temporarily assigned to it for a few seasons. Faking a foul is every bit as cynical an attempt to cheat as the wrong player purposely attempting free throws for his lower FT percentage team mate. I would say more cynical as it places an unmerited foul on an opponent.