Thread: timing question
View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 01, 2002, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

I am answering this without benefit of a review of the rule book so don't burn me too bad if I'm wrong but here's how we should handle this:

If an official has definite knowledge of the time, we are to ask that the clock be reset to that time. However, there is a one second lag time exception that allows for the reaction time of the timer. If the difference in the time between you blowing the whistle and the clock is greater than 1 second, then we have the clock set to where you know it should be. If it is less than one second, we don't change anything.

For instance, if you blow your whistle at 00:00.9 and the horn sounds, the quarter is over. You don't change anything.

If, however, when you blow your whistle, the time is 00:01.1 and the horn sounds, you would ask that the timer set the clock back to 1.1. Note that we don't subtract the 1 second lag time and ask the timer to set it at .1. We only use that one second lag time to determine if we need a clock reset but once we determine it is needed, it is set to the proper time that we have definite knowledge of.

I know this is convoluted but I hope you can understand it.