View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
1. I looked up in the NCAA rule book online after the game, but couldn't find anything, but the officials were using the team control signal for a player control foul sometimes, and then using the player control signal at others, but it was obvious by the number reported it was a player control foul (It doesn't slip by me that the person with the ball is in player control!). Does NCAAW have a distinction that they do not signal player control, but rather team control, or was this crew being inconsistent with their signals?

NCAAW does not make the Player control signal - just punch it in the direction the ball will be going.

Quote:
2. I had to cringe several times, when a foul was called on the rebounds, that it was signaled as "over the back" (you know, the "forbidden" signal). Of course, no such signal is diagrammed in the NCAA book, unless I missed it.
No we do not have that signal either, although a couple of weeks ago I was working with a very experiienced Womens official NCAA DI and DII who actually told someone that "Over the Back" was actually a call in NCAA and that signal was valid. (as Ron White says " things that make you go BURRRRRR ...!")

Quote:
3. For some reason, our head coach was not there, and his assistant took the reins for the evening. When the crew introduced themselves to the coaches before the game, I noticed they were looking at each other puzzled when they realized the assistant was coaching. During the game, their interactions (well, at least for 2 of the 3) seemed like they didn't want to talk to her, or were really brief. They just didn't seem right, when compared to the visiting team's coach, who they were pleasant with and more tolerant of, even when this 6'9" guy went flying from one end of the coach's box to the other with his arms flailing and screaming for a call at one point. For those of you who do college ball, I guess I should ask this: If you were working a game where you realized the normal head coach was not there, and the assistant coach was taking the reins for the night, does that change how you officiate? I wouldn't change a thing, but it just seems like this crew did last night (or it appears they did).
I do not, and I really do not know anyone who does, what do you care who is coaching the game - as long as you know who it is and who you should be communicating with?
Now there is a coach I have run into in the past who will not shake hands with the officials - I mean he walks to the end of the bench to avoid you when you come over, and sends his assistant over to great you, at home he doesn't even come out on the floor until introductions to avoid it, (I do not know if he has a problem with like Howie Mandel, or if he is just being difficult), this conduct does turn off some officials as far as how they communicate with him through out the game.