View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvasques View Post
Rule 8-5-2 states:

After a safety is scored, the ball belongs to the defending team at it's own 20-yard line....
What they mean in this Rule when they say "defending team" is the team defending the endzone where the safety was scored. They don't mean offense or defense.

Quote:
Also, a place kick? Just like a kickoff? Sure, there's nothing allowing a tee to be used on the text of the rule, but there is nothing forbidding it either.
And back in Rule 2 it says that safety kick is a free kick, and it says that a place kick on a free kick may be done with the use of a tee.

Is that right? You can use a tee for safety kicks?
Yes, the kick after a safety can be a free kick just like a kickoff with a tee. Which is what most teams will do. However they do have the option to punt or drop kick. Some teams have a great punter and a poor place kicker so will choose to punt instead. I've never seen a drop kick after a safety in 25 years, which means it will probably happen on my next game

Quote:
Is that right that there is no tie in the NCAA? Not even during the regular season? There is always going to be extra periodS when the first 4 ends in a tie until someone wins?
Correct. However here in Europe, some Leagues do allow a tie and only use the tiebreaker in the playoffs. I worked the British Bowl weekend in 2008 and my game went to four overtimes!!

Quote:
is it not safety for offensive fouls that occur in their own endzone? Like offensive holding inside the offensive endzone???
Yes it is a safety for these offensive fouls (Offensive F/Mask, Illegal Hands, Holding, Illegal Block, and P/Foul) .
Rules References:-
10-2-2-c-1(run ends beyond nz),
10-2-2-c-2(run ends behind nz),
10-2-2-d-4 (passes),
10-2-2-e-4 (scrimmage kicks)