Thread: Flagrant foul?
View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 05:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I think this is a bit harsh; P may not have been sure what was called and when. I think it's fair to bring this up afterwards as a learning point.
Thanks Snags. Just to clearify my OP for Refguy....
P was an official who has been at it many, many more years than me (hence my refering to him as experienced). he was an IAABO patched official from a board in a border state, and by his own admission in our pre-game he's at that stage of winding his career down these past few seasons and just does lower level games and has not been as diligent at keeping current on rules/interps.
I always look forward to working with refs who have earned the patch, and try to listen and learn from them, and I always treat them with the respect that I feel they deserve having achieved something that I'm working hard to attain...board status. I learned early on from this Forum that as a newbie that when I work with or get observed by veteran officials to 1) ask good,pertinent questions of them that will help my game 2) LISTEN more than talk 3) OBSERVE 4) take the information that's correct and useful to me...work into my game and disregard the stuff that isn't.
Bottom line here is that at this point in my season I should have known the right rule application for the sitch....I did on paper but I choked on the court. That's not my P's fault. Who knows, maybe he wanted to see if the other HC was going to complain and wanted to see how I'd handle it on my own...and would have stepped in to help if he saw me about to "drown".
Anyway...I learned from it, which as I've also learned on this forum is the most importamt thing in developing as an official.