Thread: Diamond Bag
View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 10:56pm
Is this a legal title?

For a less expensive gear bag...

I've been really happy with this one.

Champion Equipment Bag

It doesn't have all the small compartments or a divider, but it's so large that I use a few (of varying sizes) of those Rubbermaid or Sterlite plastic cases with the snap lids. A Sterlite 1960 model is 35" x 17" x 6" and fits--tightly--in the bottom. It holds all my clothes and hats, and one other small plastic box with all the small accessories. The front and end pockets are huge. I can fit both plate and base shoes in the end (only size 9 low tops for both, though; YMMV), and leg guards of any size fit in the front with room to spare. All I have to put in the main compartment with the large Sterlite box is the mask and chest protector, which leaves plenty of room for additional small boxes, whatever you want to carry loose, or one pair of shoes. If you have larger feet or wear high tops, you won't get two pair in the end pocket.

Since I already owned all the plastic boxes, this was a great choice for me at less than half the cost of the Wilson, Diamond or Evans bags. It won't be for everybody, but I didn't find the additional features of the more expensive bags to be worth that much extra cash. If you have to buy the boxes, though, the more expensive bags might be a better choice for you.

The Champion Equipment Bag, with shipping, plus a Sterlite 1960 and a couple of other smaller Sterlite boxes, can be had for about a hundred bucks. What I can store therein gets me through a six-game stretch (three on the stick, three on the pads) with no problem.