Thread: Flagrant foul?
View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarcus View Post
Is unsporting dead ball contact automatically a flagrant foul, hence ejection? Or can it be ruled an unsporting technical, hence no ejection?

Girls game yesterday (13-14 travel teams). Blow the whistle for held ball. Both girls are tussling for the ball and both seem to stop on the whistle. But then A1 gives a firm push with the shoulder and elbow to B1, as if to say "get off me." Its a hard enough push that I cannot ingore, but it's not "violent, vulgar, persistent, savage or abusive, " as it says in the rule book. I give A1 technical, but no ejection. Is that acceptable?
You did fine.

If you deem the contact to be intentional, but not flagrant, then you penalize with an intentional technical foul instead of a flagrant technical foul.

If you aren't familiar with the term intentional technical foul, learn it now.

Don't let the jargon intimidate you, it simply means that there was intentional contact during a dead ball as opposed to flagrant contact. Under NFHS rules, it's administered just as any other technical foul--2 shots and the ball at the division line.

PS Unsporting technical fouls are for non-contact situations as the NFHS defines an unsporting foul as a non-contact foul. Therefore, verbal comments or inappropriate gestures would fall within this category.