View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeschmit View Post
I disagree as well. What is the ultimate point while officiating? Get the play right! If you know in your mind that something your partner did is completely wrong, you and your "team" will look much better if you come together, figure out what the questionable call was and get it right. When I first started officiating, I had an over and back call that I made incorrectly, and my partner (who was much more experienced at the time) came in and talked with me about what happened. I then owned up to having an IW, and we continued play. I think that the appearance of getting the play right is much more important in the coaches' minds than letting your partner live and die on his/her own. Besides, they will learn what they did wrong whether you let them live and die or if you help them out at the time.

However, this doesn't apply to judgment calls that your partner may make that are questionable. They will have to live and die on calls dealing with their judgment and they will have to explain their reasoning to coaches.
I would agree that fixing an OOB is much easier. You have a distinct point of interruption from which to work from. You simply give th eball to the team that has the mistaken violation called against them.

In this situtation, how do you fix it? Ball went in. You give them the basket? The ball underneath? I don't see a POI there to fix this cleanly. That was why I would have let it go and counseled him later. It's a tough deal.