View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvasques View Post
The rules are saying otherwise. That's where my doubt is. Rule 6-1-2-g says no Team A player may block an oponent until Team A is eligible to touch the ball.
And rule 6-1-3-a says Team A becomes eligible when Team B touches the ball; the ball breaks the plan and remains beyound Team B restraining line or; the ball touches the any player, the ground, an official or anything beyond Team B restraining line.

Which, in my understanding, means Team A can't block Team B until the ball travels 10 yards.

My first thought, when I read Rule 6-1-3-a, was that maybe it was supposed to read like this:
The ball touches any player, the ground or an official. Or touches anything beyond 10 yeard. But that's not the case because Team A doesn't become eligible if a Team A player touches the ball before it travels 10 yards.
Then I came to the conclusion that Team A can't block Team B on an onside kick until the ball travels 10 yards
I don't know where you are getting your rule citations because there is no 6-1-3a or 6-1-2g.

If you look at 6-5-6, it starts out by saying "While any free kick is in FLIGHT in or beyond the neutral zone..., K shall not: a. Touch the ball or R unless blocked into the ball or R, or to ward off a blocker; or b. Obstruct R's path to the ball. (This is the section on kick catching interference.)

Thus, if the ball is kicked on the ground, these restrictions do not apply and K players can block R players.