View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref View Post
The eligibility of a team A player to touch or recover the free kick has nothing to do with blocking an opponent from getting to the ball.

Team A players could block B players and interfere with their getting the ball until it has gone 10 yds. wherein the A players could then recover it. (after it has touched the ground AND gone 10 yds.)
The rules are saying otherwise. That's where my doubt is. Rule 6-1-2-g says no Team A player may block an oponent until Team A is eligible to touch the ball.
And rule 6-1-3-a says Team A becomes eligible when Team B touches the ball; the ball breaks the plan and remains beyound Team B restraining line or; the ball touches the any player, the ground, an official or anything beyond Team B restraining line.

Which, in my understanding, means Team A can't block Team B until the ball travels 10 yards.

My first thought, when I read Rule 6-1-3-a, was that maybe it was supposed to read like this:
The ball touches any player, the ground or an official. Or touches anything beyond 10 yeard. But that's not the case because Team A doesn't become eligible if a Team A player touches the ball before it travels 10 yards.
Then I came to the conclusion that Team A can't block Team B on an onside kick until the ball travels 10 yards