View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 30, 2002, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Hey guys, I have a big week this week and have not read any new posts until Wednesday Morning at 8 am.

While I think KWH is hard on me at times, I have not been offended yet. That is of course, after assuming he took "Coach Marty" out of one of my posts and has done any research into who I actually am.

Anyway, I was reading all the posts up to the answer and was excited to have the chance to prove myself, but the answer was posted before the stated deadline, and of course I did not have any time to think about it.

As far as my answer to the question without using any help, and by the way, our association does not issue casebooks so I do not have or use one, (another indication of why my refs are not very good), but after reading your situation, with the new knowledge that the game cannot end on an accepted penalty, I would have assumed that the penalty was:

Illegal man down field - I would not have known the subtle differences between the pass being downfield or not....good insight here for me to learn.

I would have known that a loss of down penalty is only relavent in relation to the line to gain from the succeeding spot.

This whole situation is wonderful KWH. It will cause me to coach a little differently on desperation situations. We always coach the player to not go down with the ball, but we mean to fumble or throw a lateral.

We now will coach this situation and send a linemen or anyone for that matter to the endzone and throw it to him on purpose to set up a field goal....i think this is wonderful KWH. thank you.

I am not being sarcastic either..please hear that.

I probably would have responded incorrectly to your original question if that helps you a little. but as for this last thing it is awesome.

We have a play that we have run successfully against prevent defenses where we lateral twice, well now we will lateral once and chunk downfield and score and then get one more play.....

my question is this....what if we do this ON the untimed down...will we get another one? ha ... I now love this rule, because i know no other coaches realize this, i wil now have an edge...thanks KWH.