Thumbs up And the correct ruling is...

Quote:
Originally posted by KWH

SITUATION:
4 and 5 on the 50 yard line.
Score A 7 - B 9.
0:02 Remaining in the 4th quarter

PLAY:
A-1 drops back to pass and finds himself under heavy presure so he elects to run. A-1 runs all the way to the B5 yard line where he is trapped and it is apparent he won't make it to B's endzone so...
He throws a forward pass to A-2 (Number 77) who catches the ball while standing in B's endzone.
The Back Judge throws his flag and signals a touchdown.
Time expires during the down!

What penalty(s) have occurred?
What are the options offered to the offended captain?
How are any penalties enforced?

To rule on this play under NFHS rules we have to determine what fouls A has committed.
On the surface it appears their are several so lets take a look at every possible foul and enforcment:

Illegal Forward Pass: YES, because the pass was thrown from beyond the neutral zone. NFHS 7-5-2b

Ineligble downfield (Number 77)? NO, as it is only illegal for an ineligble to be downfield during a legal forward pass, and we didn't have a legal forward pass. NFHS 7-5-12

Forward Pass Interference (Number 77)? NO, as Forward Pass Interference can only occur during a legal forward pass, and we didn't have a legal forward pass. NFHS 7-5-7

Loss of Down? NO; Loss of down is not applicable in this situation. Even though loss of down is part of the penalty for Illegal Forward Pass the penalty for Illegal Forward Pass after enforcment still leaves A beyond the line to gain. Remember the loss of down part of a penalty has no significance since the succeeding spot is beyond the line to gain and a new series is awarded. NFHS 5-2-2 and 5-2-5f and Casebook 5.2.2 SITUATION B

Is the Unfair Act Rule applicable? NO; A1 did not commit any act which has no specific rule coverage. 9-9-1

Did the team attempt to conserve or consume time illegally?
No; while some may argue that A1 did attempt to conserve time illegally, by definition he did not perform any illegal act which attempted to conserve time. NFHS 3-6-3

So...

The result of the play was a Touchdown for A.
The only penalty we have is an Illegal Forward Pass.

Therefore,
The options for B are:
Delination of the penalty and taking the result of the play will award A 6 points and the game is over. A wins by a score of A 13 B 9 (The extra point would not be attempted unless required as part of your state tie-breaking system.)
OR...
Acceptance of the penalty placing the Ball on the B10 yard line (where it would be First and Goal for A) and extending the period for one untimed down.

Since under NFHS Rules a period can not end on ANY accepted live ball penalty and must be extended by an untimed down (NFHS 3-3-3a and Football Fundamentals II, 5 (Page 67)), in this case B has no realistic alternative but to accept the penalty and give A one untimed down.

If either team were to take a timeout at this point I would (as White Hat) definitly go explain the situation to both coaches. In the event neither team took a timeout I would probably take an officials timeout and go explain it to both coaches.

It is highly probable that the last play of the game will be a 27 yard field goal by A and the final score will be A 10 B 9.

If you got this one correct, good job.

Please note
If I offended anyone with my attempts at humorous jabbs toward JimNayzium (including JimNayzium) please accept my humble apologies, from here on out I'll just stick to the rules...

Peace

[Edited by KWH on Oct 30th, 2002 at 04:22 AM]