View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 29, 2002, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Re: case play

On the original play offered, the runner is automatically protected to 2B by rule, therefore, the runner cannot be called out even though the umpire believed that 1st base would be the base to which the runner was protected.

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule

Here's one for the philosphers: What if R1 takes off from 2B on a long fly and is between 3B and home when the outfielder catches the ball. As R1 tries to return to 2B, he is obstructed by F5 between 3B and home. R1 tags 3B anyway and as he is running back toward 2B to tag up, the defense throws the ball away. R1 tags up at 2B, tries to advance, and (a) is put out at 3B, or (b) is put out at home.

Can R1 now be put out between the bases where he was obstructed? How about between 2B and 3B?
By rule, the runner cannot be ruled out between 3B & HP. However, since the runner literally passed one of the bases to which they were protected and continued running to 2nd, I'm dropping the obstruction between 3B & HP. However, if the runner is tagged out prior to reaching 2B on the return, I would rule or not rule obstruction based on whether I believed the runner would have arrived at 2B safely had the obstruction not occurred.

Once the runner attained 2B safely, the play begins anew and the obstruction is dropped.

I haven't researched this, just my opinion.