View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 04:13am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I was not in any way attempting to belittle the kids or the officials involved in that contest or at that level. To the contrary, I was trying to emphasize a point to some seemingly out-of-control PARENTS that they are placing WAY too much importance on the outcome of a kids game. I don't think that score should even be kept for kids playing at that age.
Unfortunately, these PARENTS seem to be more concerned with who won/lost than whether the kids got some exercise and had fun. They need to keep things in perspective. In my opinion, these people are missing the point of youth sports.

If you inferred anything other than that from what I wrote, then you misconstrued my words.
There is a lot of truth in what you say. The problem, as I see it, is this line:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
1. THE KIDS ARE 9 YEARS OLD!!!!! It's not a big deal. It's just a game that is supposed to be played by the kids for fun.
At what age does it become a big deal? 19 year old kids are still kids and the game should be fun for them, too. The guy asked a question. You, as usual, quoted chapter and verse on the rule and gave him just what he was looking for. If he didn't think the issue was important, (a big deal) he probably would not have bothered to post the question. This guy was even a rare case. His team had won, but he was still interested in whether everything was done the right way, or as much so as possible. I think when somebody like that comes here for information, we should do as much as possible to educate and encourage that person, and refrain from anything which might be perceived as negative.

Officials are often perceived as aloof, unreachable, or arrogant. I personally try to avoid that image. Others may see it as a necessary part of some greater aura that they feel they need to project.

Lonesome Dove