View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

First horn white!

Why do we do this?

There is this incredibly loud horn, then we stand there and state the freaking obvious...that yes, that loud horn was in fact the first horn, so maybe pretty please could you break your huddle and come out and play basketball now?

Seriously - I feel like an idiot every time I do that. They know it was the first horn, so why do I have to tell them? They know that 15 seconds later there will be a second horn as well. If they cannot hear the very loud buzzing noise, then certainly they cannot hear me telling them there was just a very loud buzzing noise, right?

Of course, they aren't going to break their huddle until that second horn anyway, so why bother?

The answer: because someone thinks that we should get the game going faster, and rather than just having the balls to do what is necessary to accomplish that, we are going to *pretend* to do something about it, rather than *actually* do something about it.

If we really want the clock to start at that second horn, then we should be instructed to not tell them anything they already know, and simply place the ball in play after the second horn. Problem solved, if we did this every time.

Alternatively, if it isn't that important, then we should continue to tolerate the huddle breaking some number of seconds after the second horn, and the ball being put into play some number of seconds later.

In either case, I don't see the point in us standing there telling them something they already know.