View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Just as "points of information" here is what the PBUC "Red Book" and CCA manuals have to say on the question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBUC
...However if the base umpire feels pressure form the 2nd baseman moving to his left (or from 1st baseman for that matter), it is permissible for the base umpire to move into foul territory to take this type of play, keeping in mind the the concepts of proper distance and angle to the play. In this situation, should the ball be overthrown at 1st base, the base umpire must be ready to swing aroundin front of the cutout at 1B and then get a wide angle so as to be "ahead of the batter-runner for any play at 2B.
The CCA manual does NOT discuss the notion of "pressure" but has this to say for 2-man on an overthrow at 1st w. no runners on base:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCA
Since the ball is overthrown at 1B, U1 enters the infield and has all plays on the bases. (A pivot is not necessary.)

UIC observes the ball and rules if it enters dead-ball territory, ...
So, from my read, the two most followed and respected mechanics manuals both suggest that the BU stay with the BR in this sitch.

However, I can certainly imagine a sitch where this would be "sub optimal" coverage because of the specifics of how a particular play developed. If you pre-gamed this with your partner and had good on field communication with him, I could see doing it the other way if the right sitch arose.

The only times I can recall going into foul territory from A is on infield pop-ups down the right field line where the F3 (and/or F4) is coming "right at me" as they attempt to position. I try to stay out of their way and then get back to "the line" by thre time the ball comes down.

JM