Thread: technical foul
View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 11, 2009, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

You should have taken care of your business. As much as we may WANT or even NEED our co-officials to "get our back," sometimes that just won't happen. So, you have to do it yourself.

Personally, I have tossed two coaches in all the years I have officiating. The first, I was doing the game by myself. Coach acting a fool, so I stuck him. Late in the game, he wants a foul, and he got it . . . right after he slammed his clipboard down on the chair.

The second, I was calling with a less experienced official. He makes a GREAT call on an OOB play. Coach goes nuts. I tell coach to return to his box and coach his kids. He takes about 5-6 steps onto the floor and starts yelling at me. I stuck him. We shoot the T F-T and inbound the ball. A1 drives the lane and gets hammered. I am lead, and I have the foul. Coach goes off . . .

Me: "Coach, I see you don't have an assistant. I need to let you know that if you receive a 2nd technical foul, that you will be ejected and your team will forfeit the contest." I know, I know . . . should have stuck him right here . . . BUT . . . read on.

Coach: What are you gonna do? You aren't gonna do anything. Go call the game.

Me: TWEET. "Technical Foul on Red Coach. Coach is ejected. Coach, I see you don't have an assistant. The game is a Forfeit. Please put V-2 and H-0 in the book." (He was winning 27-19 in the middle of the 3rd!!) I turned and walked off the floor. My partner never did figure it out. Haven't called with him since . . . (interestingly enough, not by my choice either. He probably scratched me. )

Again, take care of business.

Last edited by bigdogrunnin; Wed Feb 11, 2009 at 12:29am.