View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

So.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
My personal Pet Peeve is this concept that the Bigs can take more physical play and usually do. To me its BS if the call would be made on a guard then it should be made on a post. I can't tell you how frustrating it was when I played (many moons ago I might add) to work so hard for position get a nice pass and get knocked around with no call.
Situation A: Big Man has position in the paint. Small point guard goes in for a layup. Contact squarely in the chest. Big man doesn't move. Small point guard bounces off of him. No call.

Situation B: Small point guard has position in the paint. Big man goes in for a layup. Contact squarely in the chest. Small point guard goes down. No call?
I don't think so.

Same exact play with different results gets a different call. It may be your pet peeve, but it is a fact that we are taught to use "advantage/disadvantage" and "displacement" to determine fouls. A Big Man can take more contact and not be disadvantaged or displaced. Coaches don't mind the advantage a big mans size gives him over smaller players. When it comes to contact, he can take more without a foul being called. Imagine calling a foul on the small guard for bumping the big man going in for a layup and the big man doesn't even move. Now, imagine the effect the Big man is going to have on the small guard in the same play. One was disadvantaged, the other was not.