View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
I don't see a crying face to insert here.

Physical play is a point of emphasis and has been for years, so if your big man being physical it is going to be called, and if they are pushing yor big man around it should be called, however coach, there is something called advantage/disadvantage, their big men probably aren't really pushing your guy around enough to make a difference and your guy is.
Teach him footwork and balance and all of the skills that he will need to advance the next level they can teach him how to be more physical at that level.
OHBBREF,
I think that you are precisely the type of official that the coach is complaining about. If a big man is in the post getting pushed on all night long, you are not going to call the foul on the defenders simply because the post man is strong and not "looking like" he is getting pushed. Then, you are going to turn around and call the foul on the big post man when he bumps into a kid that weighs 80 pounds less -- THE SAME BUMP that you allowed the little post man get away with at the other end.

Basically, you are telling the big guy, "sorry, you are so big and strong, even if you are getting leaned on all night by four different guys, you are not moving, therefore, I will only call the fouls tonight on you."

I disagree with this mentality (I also disagree with the percentage of games that the team encountered this type of officiating -- all but two games does not sound reasonable). Getting physically beaten on all game long takes it toll. Just because the post man is strong enough to make the power lay-up with a guy hanging on his arm, doesn't mean the foul should not be called (the defender obviously did not gain an "advantage" because the post man still made the shot).

In case you have not seen the "next level" much, play in the post is awfully physical.

Flat out pushes by the big post man absolutely need to be called. Discriminating against a player because he is big and strong isn't fair either. If he is skilled enough to make the power lay-up with the player on his arm, he should be rewarded with a three point opportunity.