View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmbu View Post
That was the title on a high school sports message board. Here is what the coach had to say:

I have watched many talented basketball players over the years,and have been eye witness to state championship runs. My teams haven't had athletically gifted big men until this year, noramlly very talented shooting guards. With all of the hype surrounding this player I'm sure that opponents come into the game with one thing in mind and that is to push him around try to out work him, great I get that and it's fine that the REFS allow that. HOWEVER, why when he pushes back is everything a foul? The paint is a Jungle!! Survival of the fittest, fight for position underneath go up strong finish, repeat. It appears to me that every event I attend my D-1 recruit is held to a higher standard a "nicer" version of what life on the inside is like no contact position yourself without touching, don't post, up fade away always. Just ranting-but does anyone else see this also???

Here is how I responded:

Maybe you should survey the coaches and fans of the teams you play against. I bet you will hear them say that you big guy gets all of the calls and gets away with physical play just because he is a star player. It often goes both ways.

Here is what the coach had to say:

I'm objective enough to see both sides of this arguement and there have been 2 games during this season were that could be true (2). The rest of the time even at home, no wait, ESPECIALLY at HOME he is abused by the officiating crews religiously. He just doesn't get to play physical and there has been times when it has taken him mentally out of the game, to the point he will just about quit because he feels that he can't even sneeze without getting a whistle.

Does anybody here think what college coaches will think about "my D-1 recruit" who "will just about quit because he feels that he can't even sneeze without getting a whistle"?
I always taught my players to adjust to the officials, because they won't adjust to you. It's not hard to find out, early in a game, how it is going to be called and play accordingly.