View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
It's going on 2am, I've had a couple drinks, and I'm not busting out the rules or case book before I go to bed.

A1 jumps with 2 hands on ball to lay ball in basket. While A1 is in the air on the way up A2's shoulder hits the ball causing A1 to momentarily lose ball (both hands come completely off ball). While still in the air A1 regains complete control of ball but comes back to earth with the ball.

What say you?
We discussed this play a while ago. Jurassic said that it was a traveling violation for failing to release the ball on a pass or try after going airborne.
His case was supported by an old NFHS ruling that Bob Jenkins posted.

2000-2001 BASKETBALL INTERPRETATIONS
SUPPLEMENT #1 (11/9/00)
SITUATION 1: A1 is an airborne shooter preparing to release the ball on a shot attempt. Instead of releasing the ball on the try, A1 fumbles the ball (while still in the air) and drops it. A1 then returns to the floor and secures possession of the ball. RULING: Traveling violation. While airborne the ball must be released for a try or pass. (4—43-3a; 94)

The NCAA has a different ruling.

A.R. 85. After ending a dribble, A1 leaves the playing court to attempt a
try for goal. While airborne, A1 fumbles the ball and:
(1) Recovers the fumble while airborne; or
(2) Recovers the fumble after returning to the floor. A1 dribbles
the ball. The official calls a violation. Is the official correct?
RULING: Yes. In (1) and (2) A1 is permitted to recover the ball
but after recovering the ball is not allowed to start another dribble.
However, if a fumble is touched by another player and then recovered
by A1, while airborne or after a return to the floor, A1 is allowed to
start another dribble. If A1 had not previously dribbled the ball, and
while airborne fumbled and recovered the ball (while airborne or after
a return to the floor), he/she is permitted to start a dribble.

(Rule 4-21.4.a, 4-31.2 and 9-7.1.c)

Personally, I think that the NCAA ruling is better. The loss of player control by a fumble is the same as when the airborne player gives up player control when releasing the ball on a try. Since a player can run and catch the ball when the try is an air-ball without violating, I see no reason why a player can't catch a fumble.