View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think the intent of this rule is for us to have to get out a tape measure or even remember distances on court markings (which are still helpful, btw). The rule has to have something objective (i.e. distance in feet), but the committee knows that we won't be precise. Thus the intent here is to officiate the "guarded" portion of closely guarded as much as the "closely." Make sure the defender is actually guarding the offensive player. Factors include, but aren't limited to: the offensive player adjusting the dribble, where or how he/she holds the ball, whether they turned their body, etc. Essentially, I'm looking for an offensive player who is challenged or threatened by a defender before I have a CG count. Are they adjusting their play due to a defender being present?

Another reference you can use for distance is the arm length. Generally, an arm is roughly 3 feet and most defenders have at least part of their arm out. Are they more than another full arm's length away? If so, no count. If not, you might have a count.