View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjo View Post
Got to work a great GV game last night. Two good teams with good coaching playing there hearts out until the end of the game.

The only down side of the game for me was a semi-confrontation with the visiting coach regarding closely guarded distances.

It happened this way: 4th quarter and visiting team slowly getting back into the game after trailing most of it. Home team guard is dribbling in her front court and trying to run time off the clock. Defender gets within six feet of dribbler and I start a five second count, about the count of four, the dribbler backs away from the defender about two steps, and I signal not closely guarded. Defender moves back in toward the dribbler and I start a second count, dribbler moves away from defender and again I signal not closely guarded. This scenario happens four times, then a quick pass and home team scores.

Visitors call a time out and the head coach asks for a word with me. I accommodate him and he is a little irate because in his opinion, even when the dribbler backed out, his defender was still within the six foot closely guarded distance. I try to assure him I am judging the distance from the players feet, and not their arms, but he's not buying it. Partner comes over and seeing it is going to be a no-win discussion, says "coach we will watch it a little closer the next time" and that ends the conversation.

I admit my six feet to start a count might be closer to five or five and a half feet at times depending on whether the defender is actively guarding her opponent, or just standing there. I have no problems with the coach bringing it to my attention because it made me think that he might have a valid point.

Have any of you ever had a coach ask you this question? How do you judge six feet on the floor.
And just for the record, I don't think that six feet and closely guarded belong in the same sentence, but, hey, it is the NFHS rule.