Thread: Chewing Gum
View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 22, 2002, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

This whole scenario has nothing to do with having "balls" as an official.It does have something to do with using a little common sense before you start WW3.

Hmm, I have never had any conflict with any coach in over 20 years of officiating for forbidding chewing gum.
I have seen more flak than I would have ever thought of on the rubberband issue, though.

You have to understand, at the pre-game, I tell them to get rid of it and they do. No arguements, no questions.
A simple, "Tell your players no gum while on the court, please." and the issue is over.
Maybe it is in how I apprach it, another facet of game management.
The association that I have joined recently after moving has also advised that we tell the coaches and team captains, "no gum or candy"
I have been a member of 7 different state high school associations in the last 20 years and this has been a standard thing. Frankly I am surprised to see that it is not pretty uniform in approach nationally.
Adult rec ball is another matter, some of those programs allow the players to smoke while sitting on the bench!