Thread: need help
View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 09, 2000, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by linejudge:
No rulebook handy, so need some help on a couple of penalty enforcements...(NF please). I apologize for the length...

Play 1
A 1/10 on the B10. A's pass is intercepted in the end zone where the player is tackled. After the interception and before the tackle, B55 clips at the B2.

In our meeting the other night we discussed play 1. We decided that the ruling was B's ball 1/10 from the B10. Reason: The final result of the play was a touchback and regarding plays that result in a touchback, penalties are enforced from the succeeding spot. Since the penalty was marked off from the B20, that is how we got to the 10.
We did not enforce from the B2, as in the all-but-one principal, because the all-but-one principle only applies to fouls by the offense (Penalty enforcement immediately following Rule 10).

Erick

I think you're a little confused on the rule when the final result is a touchback. I don't believe it says that when the final result is a touchback the penalty is enforced from the succeeding spot. I believe it says that when the final result is a touchback the succeeding spot is the basic spot. There is a difference between the BASIC spot and the spot of enforcement. This simply means you use the 20-yd line to determine the spot of enforcement rather than the end of the run since the end of the run was in the endzone. The all-but-one principle still applies here since the team w/ the ball is the one committing the foul. Since the foul occurred behind the basic spot by the team in possession it is enforced from the spot of the foul. Therefore it is B's ball at the 1-yd line.