View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
A1 is an airborne shooter. His basket goes in, his feet then land on the floor, after which he makes illegal contact (not flagrant) with B1, driving B1 backwards and onto the floor.
I call the basket good, and a common foul on A1, then the ball OOB for B.
Upon locker room review, should I not have rather called an intentional foul, since A1's illegal contact occurred during a dead ball situation after the made basket?
I can't find the reference to support the correct call, other than the obvious 6-7-1. I see 10-3-7 which calls for a T, but the contact clearly was not intentional; that just doesn't seem to fit the infraction.
Isn't there a casebook sitch on this exact play? Any help?
Since you wrote that the contact was "not flagrant" and "clearly not intentional," I have to say that you kicked it.

After A1 lands he is no longer an airborne shooter. Since the ball passed through the basket the ball is dead. The only personal fouls that can be committed during a dead ball are those by or on an airborne shooter. Since you don't have an airborne shooter, you can't have a common foul. Any foul that you call following a made goal must adhere to this rule:

RULE 4
SECTION 19 FOUL
A foul is an infraction of the rules which is charged and is penalized.
ART. 1 . . . A personal foul is a player foul which involves illegal contact with an opponent while the ball is live, which hinders an opponent from performing normal defensive and offensive movements. A personal foul also includes contact by or on an airborne shooter when the ball is dead.

NOTE: Contact after the ball has become dead is ignored unless it is ruled intentional or flagrant or is committed by or on an airborne shooter.

But on the bright side, you now OWN this rule.