View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

What about the spectators dog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
Take Mike's play and add that in the fourth the coach does not do anything but in the seventh decides to make a protest after a defensive play by the unreported sub. Sorry Mike could not resist any more. Bored and ennui.

Any thing different?

I was at the clinic and there was some confusion about the wording of the new rule and its interpretation as to when an unreported sub is officially in the game.
The problem with the discussion at the CAR clinic was that there were way to many "what if's". My favorite one was "what if a spectators dog runs onto the field and is hit with the ball. The ball is deflected where it hits the umpire in the head. The umpire falls and trips the runner. What do you have?"

As for the discussion, I think the simple way of looking at this is that the unreported sub does not enter the game until he is reported or appealed. The coach can make a mistake on the original line-up, the player can play the entire game and yet, in the bottom of the seventh, the opponent can still appeal that they are an unreported sub.