View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 09:15am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
For exactly one of these fouls the penalty is 1-and-1, so we need to be able to pick who should shoot. But this is arbitrary, just like picking who shoots first if they both have to shoot. Let the R pick based on 2-3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
1) Yup.
2)Yup. Rule 8-1-3 sez you don't line up when the ball becomes dead on an unsuccessful last FT of a "specific" penalty. That "specific" penalty is the first 1/1. Line 'em up for the 2nd. 1/1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
It continues to be important when one shooter is awarded 1+1, and the other shooter 2 shots.

This happens when the fouls are the 9th and 10th of the half.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
No, it doesn't matter diddlysquat under 8-1-3 which one you pick to shoot first. Whichever ever one you choose to shoot first, the ball is still dead on an unsucessful last FT for that "specific" penalty, whether that FT is the first or second of a 1/1, or the second of 2 shots.
I believe that you missed my point.

If it is true that it matters which player is issued a foul that is deemed to be the team's 6th of the half, and therefore the other foul is the team's 7th of a half, then it is equally important when it comes to 9 and 10. This is because the penalties for 9 and 10 and different, just as they are for fouls 6 and 7.

My point is that a coach should have a preference which player shoots the 1+1 and which player shoots the 2, just as he would (most likely) want the better FT shooter to be the bonus in the 6/7th foul situation.