The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

2 Team mates Foul 2 Opponents

A fellow referee related a situation from one of his games earlier this week. He was C, he said he heard both partners' whistles simultaneously, each had called a foul. L had A5 fouling B5, T had A1 fouling B1 it was the 7th and 8th fouls committed by team A. What is the correct way to proceed.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 12:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref2coach View Post
A fellow referee related a situation from one of his games earlier this week. He was C, he said he heard both partners' whistles simultaneously, each had called a foul. L had A5 fouling B5, T had A1 fouling B1 it was the 7th and 8th fouls committed by team A. What is the correct way to proceed.
I pointed out a couple of years ago on this forum that this situation is NOT covered by the current rules.

There is no way to proceed if the officials believe that the two fouls truly were simultaneous. Under the current rules the officials must determine that one of the fouls happened before the other and only penalize that one. The other one gets ignored since the contact was during a dead ball and was not intentional or flagrant.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I had spent over an hour searching the rule and case book, finding nothing.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 01:17am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I pointed out a couple of years ago on this forum that this situation is NOT covered by the current rules.

There is no way to proceed if the officials believe that the two fouls truly were simultaneous. Under the current rules the officials must determine that one of the fouls happened before the other and only penalize that one. The other one gets ignored since the contact was during a dead ball and was not intentional or flagrant.
IOW, they must make something up? If it is not covered by rules, why could they not penalize both, like when, you know, that other thing happens. Both officials signaled a foul. I have read where this is considered binding.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 02:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
IOW, they must make something up? If it is not covered by rules, why could they not penalize both, like when, you know, that other thing happens. Both officials signaled a foul. I have read where this is considered binding.
The problem is when this happens while the offending team has five team fouls and neither foul involves a try for goal. The two fouls would be #6 and #7 of the half for that team, so which opposing player gets to attempt the 1&1? There is simply NO way to decide.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 02:45am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The problem is when this happens while the offending team has five team fouls and neither foul involves a try for goal. The two fouls would be #6 and #7 of the half for that team, so which opposing player gets to attempt the 1&1? There is simply NO way to decide.
So since you can't decide who would shoot, you simply wouldn't count one of them? That's really thin.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 04:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
So since you can't decide who would shoot, you simply wouldn't count one of them? That's really thin.
Please enlighten us with your solution. I hope that it's not thin.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 07:48am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref2coach View Post
1) There is no rule extant that will allow you to ignore one of the fouls if both officials are adamant that the fouls occurred at the same time. Rule 2-6 states that neither official has the authority to set aside another official's call. There is no provision in Rule 2-5 either for the Referee to decide if one of the foul calls should be ignored. There is a rule covering a violation and a foul occuring at the same time. In that case you have to decide which occurred first. That's covered in case book plays 2.6SitA and 2.6SitB.
2) There is language covering fouls being committed by teammates at the same time against different opponents. Rule 4-19-12 covers that call. It says that "a false multiple foul is a situation in which there are two or more fouls by the same team and the last foul is committed before the clock is started following the first, and at least one of the attributes of a multiple foul is absent." The attribute of a multiple foul that is absent in your situation is that the fouls were not committed against the same player, but were committed against teammates.
3) The penalty for a false multiple foul is laid out in 10-6PENALTIES(Rule 10 Summary under #7--"In case of a false double foul or a false multiple foul, each foul carries it's own penalty. In this case, the individual penalty for each foul is a one-and-one by each player fouled.
4) The only thing not definitively covered is which player shoots their one-and-one first. However, you still have rules that will allow you to decide. You can use Rule 2-3 and let the R pick who shoots their FT's first.

Ideally, the 2 officials will come to some kind of agreement that one foul actually did occur before the other...which means the second foul is ignored(unless the contact is intentional or flagrant). If the two officials can't decide between themselves whether one foul occurred before the other though, use the procedure outlined above. Rules rulz...and these will cover your azz.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

My first thought when reading the OP was "false multiple foul." The sticky one is, of course, the one Nevada brings up: the case where the two fouls are team fouls #6 and #7.

For exactly one of these fouls the penalty is 1-and-1, so we need to be able to pick who should shoot. But this is arbitrary, just like picking who shoots first if they both have to shoot. Let the R pick based on 2-3.

If you have 2 shooters, would you shoot the first with the lane cleared?
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 08:43am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
1) Let the R pick based on 2-3.

2) If you have 2 shooters, would you shoot the first with the lane cleared?
1) Yup.
2)Yup. Rule 8-1-3 sez you don't line up when the ball becomes dead on an unsuccessful last FT of a "specific" penalty. That "specific" penalty is the first 1/1. Line 'em up for the 2nd. 1/1.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Mon Jan 26, 2009 at 09:03am.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 08:48am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I think we need to do something to at least attempt to determine which foul happened first. Perhaps one calling official saw something peripherally regarding the other foul, or the durations between foul and whistle can be contrasted. To make no attempt, and go with 2-3, I think is not trying enough. Yes, it is very difficult, but we have to try.

Yes, the lane should be cleared if there are two shooters.

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Mon Jan 26, 2009 at 08:50am.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 08:49am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
1) Yup.
2)Yup. Rule 8-3 sez you don't line up when the ball becomes dead on an unsuccessful last FT of a "specific" penalty. That "specific" penalty is the first 1/1. Line 'em up for the 2nd. 1/1.
It continues to be important when one shooter is awarded 1+1, and the other shooter 2 shots.

This happens when the fouls are the 9th and 10th of the half.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 09:02am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
It continues to be important when one shooter is awarded 1+1, and the other shooter 2 shots.

No, it doesn't matter diddlysquat under 8-1-3 which one you pick to shoot first. Whichever ever one you choose to shoot first, the ball is still dead on an unsucessful last FT for that "specific" penalty, whether that FT is the first or second of a 1/1, or the second of 2 shots.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 09:12am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I think we need to do something to at least attempt to determine which foul happened first. Perhaps one calling official saw something peripherally regarding the other foul, or the durations between foul and whistle can be contrasted. To make no attempt, and go with 2-3, I think is not trying enough. Yes, it is very difficult, but we have to try.
R.I.F.

What part of "Ideally, the 2 officials will come to some kind of agreement that one foul actually did occur before the other one....which means that the second foul is ignored(unless intentional or flagrant). If the two officials can't decide between themselves whether one foul occurred before the other though, use the procedure outlined above." didn't you get?
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 09:15am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
For exactly one of these fouls the penalty is 1-and-1, so we need to be able to pick who should shoot. But this is arbitrary, just like picking who shoots first if they both have to shoot. Let the R pick based on 2-3.
Quote:
1) Yup.
2)Yup. Rule 8-1-3 sez you don't line up when the ball becomes dead on an unsuccessful last FT of a "specific" penalty. That "specific" penalty is the first 1/1. Line 'em up for the 2nd. 1/1.
Quote:

Quote:
No, it doesn't matter diddlysquat under 8-1-3 which one you pick to shoot first. Whichever ever one you choose to shoot first, the ball is still dead on an unsucessful last FT for that "specific" penalty, whether that FT is the first or second of a 1/1, or the second of 2 shots.
I believe that you missed my point.

If it is true that it matters which player is issued a foul that is deemed to be the team's 6th of the half, and therefore the other foul is the team's 7th of a half, then it is equally important when it comes to 9 and 10. This is because the penalties for 9 and 10 and different, just as they are for fouls 6 and 7.

My point is that a coach should have a preference which player shoots the 1+1 and which player shoots the 2, just as he would (most likely) want the better FT shooter to be the bonus in the 6/7th foul situation.