View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Batting out of order problems do make my head swim!

For one, they happen so infrequently that even if you've studied the rule, you don't get many chances to apply it in practice.

For two, the rule itself can take many twists and turns, depending on when the infraction is appealed, if the kid who is supposed to bat is on base or whether the next batter sees a pitch.

For three, the rule and all the possible interpretations take up a entire page of the rule book- it's a long read. We're supposed to memorize all that stuff?

And, for four, different softball rule sets have a slightly different take on some of the consequences of this rule, with respect to outs made on the play standing or not (and guys that do baseball too might also have to deal with some differences).

But, despite all that, I can usually muddle through, take things step-by-step and- I hope- arrive at the right call. (I will assume "high school"/NFHS rules.)

- S2/B3 leads off the inning and reaches base: If this improper batter had been appealed before her at-bat was completed, she would have been replaced by the proper batter (S1/B1) without penalty. S1/B1 would take her place in the batter's box and assume whatever ball/strike count S2/B3 had accumulated.

That didn't happen though- S2/B3 reached base. Had the defensive coach appealed the batting out of order right then, before the next batter received a pitch, then the batter who should have batted would be called out- that would be S1/B1. The improper batter's at-bat is wiped out and she is taken off the base. The next batter is the batter whose name follows the proper batter who as called out. That would be B2.

But that didn't happen either! Apparently, the defensive coach was asleep at the wheel and no appeal was made.

- B2 comes to the plate and receives a pitch: That leaglizes S2/B3's at-bat and removes any possibility of an appeal for S1/B1 failing to bat. B2 is now at the plate, S2/B3 stays on base and we continue to play ball.

But we now have another possible batting out of order appeal. Once S2/B3's at-bat became legalized, the proper batter should be whoever follows her in the line-up. That would be B4.

If the defensive coach appealed at this point, before B2 completes her at-bat, we bring B4 to the plate with whatever ball/strike count B2 had. There would be no further penalty. B5 would follow B4 in the order.

- B2 strikes out: Her at-bat is complete and the next batter should be whoever follows her in the line-up. That is S2/B3.

If B2 was appealed as an improper batter after striking out, but before the next batter saw a pitch, the batter who should have been batting would be called out (B4), B2's strike out would be negated and our next proper batter would be B5.

But that didn't happen!

- S1/B1, an improper batter, comes to the plate and receives a pitch: That legalizes B2's at-bat and makes S2/B3 the proper batter. Now, we have another batting out of order situation and another possible appeal.

If appealed while S1/B1 is still at the plate, replace her with the proper batter who assumes S1/B1's ball/strike count. But, wait...our proper batter, S2/B3, is already on base! We skip over S2/B3, since her at-bat has been legalized, and the next batter in the line-up assumes S1/B1's count. That would be B4.

And, I think, that is what should have been the final result of the play presented here- B4 is brought to the plate, inheriting S1/B1's count of 2-1 and we play on from that point, without penalty. There is one out (the strike out of B2).

Did I blow it or nail it?

Last edited by BretMan; Sun Jan 25, 2009 at 10:16pm.