View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP View Post
JDW's got it right. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

I'm talking about the player leaving the marked lane space legally, but doing so by any method other than stepping into the lane.

So back to my question - Does anyone know of a rule that used to prohibit this?
I can't speak to the NCAA rules as I have never been a college official. Further, I was probably not playing when the big fella pictured in another thread was officiating.

But, I can tell you that back in the mid-1970s through the 1980s, we regularly ran all sorts of "stunts" on free throws. We would set screens across the lane (when you could move on the release), we would set "up screens" (the 2nd man would screen the 3rd man so that our 4th man would be free), etc. As far back as I can remember, I would teach our big men (in the 2nd spot) to step straight into the lane shortly after the release on the first free throw (when leaving on the release was permitted) and then fake that step on the second free throw and step behind the player in the 1st spot and beat the player to the glass.

I cannot ever remember having to step straight into the lane, but I don't remember much before 1970 or so.