View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
A1 has possession in the front court. Tries to pass over the defender. B1 bats the ball back towards midcourt. A1 goes to retrieve and crosses the division line. However, the ball last bounced in the FC and never bounced in the BC. A1 caught it while standing in the BC before it bounced in the BC.

I let it go and immediately questioned my call.

I'm pretty sure I should have had a violation. I seem to remember a post about an interp about this type of case.
According to last year's NFHS Interpretations, this is a violation.

SITUATION 10: A1, in the team's frontcourt, passes to A2, also in the team's frontcourt. B1 deflects the ball toward Team A's backcourt. The ball bounces only in Team A's frontcourt before crossing the division line. While the ball is still in the air over Team A's backcourt, but never having touched in Team A's backcourt, A2 gains possession of the ball while standing in Team A's backcourt.

RULING: Backcourt violation on Team A. Team A was still in team control and caused the ball to have backcourt status. Had A2 permitted the ball to bounce in the backcourt after having been deflected by B1, there would have been no backcourt violation. (4-4-1; 4-4-3; 9-9-1)

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith