View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 10:51pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeardedbryan View Post
JV boys game, working alone because AD messed up scheduling.

White has an A/P throwin along the sideline. Blue has already been warned for delay (and picked up an intentional foul in the process for striking an inbounding player).

I bounce the thrower the ball and step back, ready to chop time. Then he does something silly. He reaches the ball across the boundary line, right in front of the blue defender, just as if he's about to start a dribble and go around him.

Blue sees the ball in front of him and instinctively reaches for it. Both players simultaneously possess the ball and I blow the whistle for the held ball... then my brain freezes.

How should this be handled? Remember, white had the ball for an A/P throwin. I've bounced this around a few heads in our group and gotten an array of answers, including one that I couldn't have a held ball because white was out of bounds with possession (but I don't buy that). Thanks!

bigbeardedbryan:

You have gotten some pretty good advice already in this thread. But now I have a question: Why in the world did you officiate a boy's H.S. JV game by yourself. Yes, I know it is not about us, it is about the players. And that is why, I would not have officiated this game by myself.

Just last Saturday afternoon, Mark, Jr., and I officiated a boys' H.S. FR game as a two-man crew (yeah, I know, Mark, Jr., was really officiating the game by himself since I was his partner, ) and it should have been officiated by a three-man crew.

The game of basketball at the H.S. level is difficult enough to officiate with a two-man crew that H.S. level and above games should be officiated with a three-man crew. There is just too much going on inbounds for one official to watch.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio