View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11 View Post
Hey guys -

I always here announcers say that a player can't leave the field voluntarily and be the first to touch the ball. Not that I put any weight in what announcers say, but I'm pretty sure this is true.

That being said, what happens if a WR runs out of bounds, returns to the field, and the QB is still holding the ball? Can the WR catch the ball, since the QB is still touching the ball? Or is there something else going on here?

I wouldn't even know where to start looking in the NCAA pdf rulebook, so I figured a quick answer here would suffice. I'm sure it will get cleared up quick - thanks guys.
The answer depends on the rule set being used. I believe in the NFL the receiver can come back in and catch the ball as long as he's established himself again but I'm not 100%. In HS, no offensive player (A or K) can step out of bounds and return at all and he must return immediately if he is pushed out of bounds. No defensive player (B or R) can INTENTIONALLY step out of bounds (they are given a little more leeway). If any of these happen it is illegal participation, 15 yards from the spot where he returned to the field. He steps out of bounds and stays out of bounds...no foul. I'm not sure the college rule is but I would guess it's closer to the NFL rule than the HS rule.