View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
That is why I said I did not see the play. But the contact with the ground usually applies to falling on other players and then hitting the ground. Now if I saw the play I might be able to better comment on this situation specifically. I just know that in one of my associations we have a few NFL Officials (one is a deep wing) and several D1 Officials and they show a lot of tape from those levels at camps or meetings that constitute what a catch is or is not. And in a few cases we have access to actual NFL tapes on passing plays and Mike Perreira (sp?) is commenting on those tapes about many things. It is very clear by those tapes that the NFL (and NCAA) wants a catch to be maintained through going to the ground. And that does involve plays where they are falling on other players sometimes.

Peace
I know you did not see the play. I am just looking for clarification. Consider these three hypothetical situations:
  1. A80 goes up to catch a pass while airborn where he is immediately contacted and tackled
  2. A80 catches a pass with both feet already on the ground. He is contacted as he catches the ball and is immediately tackled
  3. A80 catches a pass with both feet on the ground and runs another 3 yards before he is contacted and tackled
In each case, A80 maintains possession throughout the catch until his arms contact the ground and the ball comes loose.

My understanding was this was an incomplete pass in situation (a). Someone else has told me it's also an incomplete pass in situation (b) but not (c). Those who have seen the play debate whether (b) or (c) is what happened. I leaned toward (c) but I would have to see it again. Regardless of what actually happened on this play, do you know if the rules support situation (b) as complete or incomplete?